Hi I’m a bit of a newb with web design. I’m looking for tips for getting my first client. I’ve used elance, craigslist, even cold calling and I haven’t been able to get a client. I’ve come close but no cigar. I’m admittedly still learning how to master php, and html but I’m pretty good with editing WordPress and editing themes and css files. My website is http://www.bdbwebdesign.com which its self is a multisite that has the template sites i have set up. I know I’m more than capable to create great visual websites for small businesses. Where do i start or what should i do?
1. The images and font on your site does not look good. Hard to read font and photos do not really show what you offer. Why don’t you use some simple template from themeforest.net and just slightly customize it?
2. Avoid handwriting style fonts.
3. This page http://www.bdbwebdesign.com/template-sites/ doesn’t look good. It looks like you use only one template? Can you show here some more examples what you can offer? Keeping advertising on the page is not a good idea. I bet you make the most couple of cents per day from that?
If you can show me your email that you send to potential clients, I can give you some tips.
I found my first client on craigslist.org. Since you don’t have any portfolio, you need to give your first client a very good price and provide a great service, so you can put his website to your portfolio. Make sure to be in good contact with the client (email, phone, offer a meeting if possible, that will make you stand out).
1) I can’t afford to buy a new theme. That said I do already have a membership with elegant themes. What do you suggest I change about it? I didn’t think it hard to read but that said i have an obvious bias. lol Do i need to overhaul my site, or just choose different images and fonts?
2) What are some different fonts and images you suggest? I guess in my head i was trying to be different. I don’t want to sacrifice business for the sake of pointless creativity.
3) The sites are in a slider there are 9 of them. I can change the way they are presented if the slider is too much. I took off the ad.
4) I’ve been trying to use craigslist and while i have a couple maybes that I’ve been in contact with i have nothing definitive.
The email in which I reply to jobs on craigslist looks something along these lines.
“Hi I’m Brandon Booth, a local web designer who is experienced with WordPress and graphic design. Are you still looking to put the finishing touches on your site? I live in SE Michigan. My website http://www.bdbwebdesign.com and http://www.bdbwebdesign.com/template-sites/ are examples of my work. I have multisite and ecommerce experience as well. My phone number is (810) 956-8441. I can help you finish your site and do so much more. I appreciate your time in advanced.”
This was in reply to someone who was looking to finish his site. I appreciate any and all suggestions.
Keep your portfolio clean. Colors that you use are crazy ! I found my clients liking clean and light layouts (white background and black text). Use one font (Open Sans?), nothing fancy – the simpler, the better.